Sunday 10 April 2011

Depressing, yet brilliant

I have this album. It is so enormously depressing and bleak, I cannot just put it on on a whim. To do so, I have to be in a particular mood to pull it off. It starts so many feelings in me, I have to be prepared for it. When I put my headphones on and start «Ordo ad Chao» by Mayhem, I disappear somewhere into the Dark. When I finally reemerge in the lighter realms, I am exhausted, empty and totally invigorated. During the experience, for that is exactly what it is; an experience, I find myself checking if there is actually blood coming from my ears. It sure as hell feels like it at times.

The infamous lead singer of the early Mayhem, Dead, wrote a song called «The Freezing Moon», where he encourages people to commit suicide. This record doesn't encourage it as such, though I have the distinct feeling the already depressed listener would have lost all their remaining lust for life, and would end their miseries soon after the last tones of the last track, «Anti» has died. Hell, I am not even sure they would come that far!

This sums up music. To me, this is how music should be; evoking feelings and sentiments. I am not saying all good music should potentially be suicide triggers. My point is that music should make people feel. Make people sit down and go "What the fuck just happened?!?" or "WOW!!!". Too much music, of all ages, have no feeling; no soul. «Ordo ad Chao» does that, and I love it for it. Though, it should come with a warning: "Listen at your own risk. Not for the light hearted!"


ordoadchao.jpg


Tåkeland
In the rays of the sun, I am longing for the darkness.

No comments:

Post a Comment