Tuesday 5 April 2011

Felix Castor

Just a quick mention of one of my favourite characters, Felix Castor. This rather low life exorcist who shuns away from honest work, is fantastic. So far his creator, Mike Carey, has released five books about him, «The Devil You Know», «Vicious Circle», Dead Men's Boots»,  «Thicker Than Water» and «The naming of the Beasts».  The sixth one is supposed to be published late 2011.

In these books, Felix Castor meets a lot of different creatures. Demons, ghosts, loup-garous (werewolves) and other. His «job» is to locate the lingering souls of dead people still connected to their place of death or other important sites. He uses a tin flute to trap them and to send them off to the other side. Actually, this is basically the plot in the books, though Mike Carey weaves different intrigues and stories into it and makes them fabolous reads. Though his chapters are quite long, these books are still page turners well worth the time.

If I should be a bit critical, I think Felix Castor is alarmingly similar to another dodgy spiritualist; John Constantine (which incidentally Mike Carey has written six stories about and they are also great) or Hellblazer, if you like. I am not saying it makes the books bad, I am just saying.

Anyway, I recommend everyone I know into the fantasy genre to read them.

Tåkeland

In the rays of the sun, I am longing for the darkness.

No comments:

Post a Comment